Bone broth is a nutritious and delicious beverage that can be enjoyed hot or cold, and has been known to have numerous health benefits. It contains minerals, amino acids, and collagen, which can improve joint health, boost energy, and aid digestion. Bone broth can be made easily at home with just a few ingredients. Here’s how to make your own bone broth:
– 1-2 pounds of bones (chicken, beef, pork, or fish)
– 2-3 carrots, roughly chopped
– 2-3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
– 1 onion, roughly chopped
– 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
– 2-3 bay leaves
– 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 tsp of dried thyme
– 1 tsp of black peppercorns
– 1-2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
– Salt to taste
1. Start by preheating the oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the bones on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven for 30-45 minutes until they are browned.
2. While the bones are roasting, prepare the vegetables. Wash and peel the carrots and onion, and chop them roughly. Wash and chop the celery into large chunks.
3. Once the bones are roasted, place them in a large stockpot or slow cooker. Add the chopped vegetables, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and peppercorns.
4. Pour enough water to cover the bones and vegetables by approximately 2 inches.
5. Add the apple cider vinegar, which will help extract the minerals from the bones. Stir everything together.
6. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 12-24 hours. The longer you simmer, the more flavorful and nutritious your bone broth will be.
7. After simmering, remove the bones and vegetables from the broth using a slotted spoon.
8. Strain the broth through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl or container. Discard the solids.
9. Allow the broth to cool, then transfer it to containers for storage. You can store the broth in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
10. When using the broth, you can reheat it as needed and add salt to taste.
– If you’re using a slow cooker, you can cook the bone broth on low for up to 24 hours.
– You can add any other herbs or vegetables you prefer, such as parsley, ginger, or leeks.
– You may also use chicken feet or necks to add extra collagen to your broth.
In conclusion, making your own bone broth at home is an easy and affordable way to enjoy a nutritious and delicious beverage that can improve your health and wellbeing. You can tailor the recipe to your liking and experiment with different ingredients to make it your own. Give it a try and see how your body benefits from the rich nutrients found in bone broth.